This past weekend was an amazing example of why I love being involved with and leading this church! Easter Sunday is always crazy, but this weekend we had over twice our average attendance and our volunteers were once again the rock stars of the show! Let me show you just how by sharing with you some of the life change and showing how many hours were put into volunteerism just in one day (hopefully I don’t miss any):
First, the stories that came out of this weekend were amazing.
“I instantly felt at home when I walked in the doors because people smiled and welcomed me and helped me!” – First-time guest
That was a comment that I heard from a first-time guest this weekend. Oh, and did I mention that 15 people told us that they were trusting Christ that day or were considering trusting Christ. That doesn’t happen without a movement of God and an amazing volunteer team creating a great environment. There are dozens of others stories that I’ve heard since Easter that I will share along the way.
Now, what about the hours volunteered?
- Power-up – 14 volunteers at 2 hours each (28)
- Small Wonders – 7 volunteers at 2 hours each (14)
- Toddlers and Infants – 11 volunteers at 2 hours each (22)
- First Impressions Teams – 16 volunteers at 2 hours each (32)
- Worship and Tech – 11 volunteers at 5 hours each (55)
- Coffee and hospitality -4 volunteers at 2 hours each (8)
- Middle School – 4 volunteers at 2 hours each (8)
- Ushers – 12 volunteers (2)
- Financial team – 3 volunteers (2)
Totaling 171 volunteer hours just on Sunday morning for the two services. That is amazing. Think about it like this: if we had to have paid staff in order to accomplish all of that ministry each week, it would cost a boat load! In fact, here’s an idea of what it would cost us simply using the median income in Wyandotte County, KS. The median income is $39,000!
- 171 hours would require 4 full-time employees
- 4 employees at $39,000 = $156,000 per year!
So, let me put it like this: the volunteers here at Oak Grove are rock stars for two amazing reasons
- They are using their unique gifts and abilities to bring about changed lives every week.
- They are enabling the reach of the ministry of this church to far exceed what we could ever pay for by essentially volunteering at least $156,000 worth of time and talent! That is awesome!
Thank you for using your unique gifts and abilities to make more and better followers of Christ!
Oh yeah, I thought I’d show you some of the stuff that our amazing volunteers do: this is from awhile ago, but just look at Mike in that apron!